What is Prehabilitation?
To help prevent injuries, sports physiotherapists have begun to employ what they call "prehabilitation" strategies.
Prehabilitation is basically preventive injury risk assessment and training to prevent the problem before it happens.
Three phases of Prehabilitation
The three phases needed to come up with a good prehabilitation plan are:
- Analysing an uninjured player's posture, joint alignment, flexibility, muscle control, biomechanics, core stability and movement patterns,
- Understanding the risks of the sport itself, and
- Considering other specifics such as the player's position.
After looking at these three steps, our sports physiotherapist can better calculate your injury risk. They can then develop precise training programs to help you avoid and prevent common overuse and other sports injuries.
What exercises are best?
Prehabilitation exercises and techniques are sports-specific. These can even be athlete-specific, as the athlete would highlight predominant muscle movement patterns present in the position they play sport. A goalkeeper for example will have different athletic requirements to a field player.
Prehabilitation helps you to:
- Achieve normal static and dynamic posture
- Correct muscle length imbalance, joint alignment and flexibility
- Normalise core stability (upper, lower and left vs right)
- Enhance muscle endurance, strength and power
- Boost movement pattern efficiency; and
- Enhance proprioception, which is the ability for your mind to sense the position of different joints in relation to the rest of the body.
Obviously, the prehabilitation approach for each sport and positions (e.g. Attacker V Defender) within those sports will vary. This is why it is essential to seek the advice of a sports physiotherapist with an interest in your sport.
How to Arrange Pre-Injury Screening
If you are interested in either individual, team or club sports-screening or prehabilitation programs please contact Therapy-First Physiotherapy now. Your Players will benefit from superior performance and your team will also sustain a lower injury rate. Therapy-First Physiotherapy offers club, school, team and individual pre-injury screening, and injury risk profiling with injury-prevention strategies.
Book an Appointment